Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Day in the Life

I do not spend a large chunk of time talking about being a diabetic. Often times, when I do share with people, they are often surprised. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 16+ years. I was diagnosed when I was 22. You can do the math to figure out I will soon be 29 (again). I have been through several doctors, some good, some bad, maybe one ugly? But the one phrase that has stuck out to me over the years. "You control your diabetes, it should not control you" and I live my life every day in hopes of controlling it. I recently developed my own phrase of  "Diabetes doesn't define me, I define it"

I was diagnosed 1 year after I was married, and survived my senior year of college, two pregnancies, and many life situations that most people my age have yet to face, including losing both my parents. Every day sunrise to sunset and through the night it has been a part of me. It can be quite the roller coaster ride at times.

I have had excellent control, good control, and other times not so much. Well lately I have been a little more in the "not so much" side.. So I've been wearing my cgm sensor along with my pump. Hopefully when I go back to the doc in January my a1c will be back where it should be.

So for those of you who may wonder what "a day in the life" of kpm, here ya go:
A day in the life:
830 plug in (attach new sensor, and new pump line)
930 eat bg now65
10:50 sensor ready-bg now at movies - bg 207
Predicted high alarm 3xs during movie (annoying)
2:00 walk the dog
post walk bg 153 and eat a snack so i can go workout
3:00 trx workout
3:45 During workout alarm to remind me to check bg w/n the hr
4:11 ck the bg to make sure I can drive home - bg now 75-and calibrate sensor
4:30 early dinner
4:41 alarm calibration error / alarm check bg now.
4:55 recheck bg to re calibrate sensor bg now 110
6:10 during zach's game alarm lost sensor (which is annoying, bc I am wearing the sensor! How do I lose it?!! What the heck?)
6:27 finally found sensor
8:27 predicted low alarm
8:48 checked bg 93. Not low
10:44 bedtime bg ck bgnow 176
Oddly enough I did NOT wake up to any alarms!! This was a good night! :)
6:43 bg now 96 going to go run with crazies
Snack before run
8:35 ck bg post run 134

So... That's it! Pretty uneventful, actually!

The funniest diabetic thing I've read recently was one of this ecards you see on fb and twitter:
"I thought I was bipolar, then I realized. Wait I'm a diabetic"
...occasionally
If you love a diabetic, I'm sure you can appreciate!

No comments:

Post a Comment